Saturday, December 2, 2017

Can I have >24 hours per day



What are your favorite pastimes and how often do you have the so-called free time to do something that you like? I always think that everyone in the world, no matter the rich or the poor; the fortunate or the unfortunate or just a normal human being is given only 24 hours per day and neither one minute nor one second more. Some people can be very rich and have a lavish life style. But no matter how avaricious they are, they could not exchange their sumptuous mansions and wealth with the time that they want so badly. 

I always think about the most efficient way of using the limited time that I have for my own sake and for the others that are living with me. A priority list is definitely a must as there are simply too many things to do and too little time to do all the things that I want to do. But, if there is a priority list, it means there will be something of lower priority that I should spend less time on in order to spend more time on something that are with higher priority. And, how am I going to set my priority list? The priority can be changing all the time, based on what I am really looking and what I want to achieve. 

After so many years, I came to realize that the job that I spend at least 10 hours per day (including commuting time) must be something I really interested in as it occupies the big portion of my everyday life. Spending 10 hours every day to repeat something monotonous and not interesting at all is a torture and it makes me feel that I am wasting my life on something useless, even there is a good monthly salary that can be used as a compensation to the loss of my precious time. 

Also, I am not so sure, how much time I need to sleep every day, especially during weekdays, 8 hours a day seem to be a luxury. I read from some online articles that, an hour of power nap is equal to two hours of sleep at night. If this theory is correct, then actually I sleep 7.5 hours every day - 5 hours on my lovely bed, 0.5 hour in office before starting working, 0.5 hour during lunch time and 0.5 hour on bus after knocking off work. Many of my colleagues are practicing this kind of eccentric habit and very often I can see people sleeping or even hear some loud snores in office right after lunch or inside company bus. Perhaps, everyone feels that 24 hours are simply not sufficient and sleeping time is not of higher priority.

(457 words)

No comments: