Sunday, December 24, 2017

04 [The Alchemist] by Paulo Coelho



Life really is generous to those who pursue their destiny.When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it. This book is about omens and the destiny. And how men should do in facing their fates. An Andalusian shepherd sold all his sheep in order to start a journey to the pyramids that appeared always in his recurring dreams. The decision making is only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is just like diving into a strong current that carries him to somewhere he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision. And so do the shepherd. He was robbed and thus lost all his money. Then, he met a crystal merchant and worked for him for some time. After that, he continued his journey to the dessert. There is a mysterious chain that links one thing to another, from the beginning to the end of story. The shepherd never abandoned his belief and in the end, he managed to find the hidden treasure that he has been looking for.

What happened on the shepherd seems to happen on every one of us, even though the reaction given may be different. Some people want something but never start taking action to materialize what he has been dreaming and just go through life wanting to do so. On the other hand, in spite of the difficulties and possible failure, some people see the limitless possibilities and they believe in miracles. And because of all these, they dare to pursue their destinies. Even that they will die in the midst of trying to realize their destiny. For them, it is still a lot better than dying like millions of other people, who never even knew what their destinies were.

For me, I really regretted that I had not taken advantages of the situation and pursued my destiny a few months back. I was afraid because I was not confident whether I was able to achieve them and the opportunity seemed too good to be true that I felt I don’t deserve it. Thinking back what happened that time, now it seemed to me that without what happened then, perhaps I still didn’t realize how important and how determined I could be to pursue something that I am really interested in. Perhaps this is one link of the mysterious chain that mentioned in the book. 

This is actually the first Paulo Coelho’s book that I read a few years ago and I decided to read it again this time, simply because I think that there are some intriguing sentences that deserve more time to savor in order to find out the implicit ideas which may be helpful to personal growth.

(463 words)

No comments: