Monday, October 23, 2017

First sentence in greeting others



How to make others think that you care about their time and you are willing to go extra to help them to save their precious time? One of my colleagues, let’s call him T, whenever he wants to ask somebody a question or say something, he starts his question with something like “Hello, Joey, do you have a minute? I would like to update you about XXX” or “Hi. Are you free now? I would like to disturb you with some questions about XXX” Very usually, he gets what he wants at the first attempt. 
I am not an opportunist that is good at manipulating people in order to stand out and gain personal attention from the bosses but I really like the way T approaches people as very often people in the office are too busy with their own stuff that they cannot spare even a minute to do other things and by starting a conversation with such opening lines, actually he tries to convey a message that he really cares about somebody’s time and indirectly, he find himself the best timing to communicate with people. Asking a favor at an inappropriate timing is likely to be turned down and so do good suggestion at wrong timing. The keyword here is “Timing”.

Perhaps, for me, this is one of the must-learn communication skills in order to survive or possibly, prosper in this office jungle. I believe nothing could ever go wrong with it. To make myself more confident and to brush up my communication skills, I would like to make it a rule and a self-punishable crime when the first sentence that comes out from my mouth every time I start talking to someone is not something similar to T. I hope that with this skill, the listener and whoever I would like to talk to can feel that his or her time really matters to me. And thus, he or she is more willing to discuss something with me, answer my questions and most important, do me a small favor. Haha.


(343 words)
 

No comments: