Monday, November 6, 2017

Arctics

I am wondering how hard it will be to build a ship that can bring me from Russian to Canada so that I can circumvent the North Pole. A sensible person may tell me that the ship structure must be strong enough to crash the thick ice and then, there should be sufficient heaters onboard to provide warmth and prevent hypothermia in the extreme cold environment. It will be nice to have a fully winterized vessel with constant temperature and humidity control to the indoor more comfortable and welcoming. It will be even more ideal if the galley is loaded with tons of food supply and consumables that can last for a long time. Not even an amateur sailor, I get sea sickness easily and always hope that there is a simple mechanism to reduce the ship motion, especially during the heavy storm, when the motion is exacerbated by high waves  and the ship cannot stop rolling and pitching at big angles. I can install a very complicated set of equipment to reduce the ship motion but the constraint is that it is too bulky and it occupies too much space which I can for other high-priority purposes. A tiny and powerful piece of equipment does not exist or perhaps, this type of technology is still in a laboratory or in its infancy. Or perhaps the cost is too high that the application is prohibitive.

If I had reconciled myself with the fact that travelling by ship was too difficult or let my personal comfort overrides all other considerations, I would have planned to fly over the North Pole in an airplane which is obviously the fastest way with current technology that is available. But, travelling by ship is just simply a better way to bring myself closer to the white world to admire its unhidden beauty and give my over-encumbered mind a temporary release from this dull and mundane world. Also, the chilling winds bring refreshing effects to my mind and the whiteness of the snow brings calmness to my heart.  All these are pure imagination which is way too far from reality, if I allow myself to travel in a fully enclosed plane flying a few kilometers above. After contemplating at the possible options for some time, I still stick to my plan of travelling by ship and the question now comes back to the starting point how I am going to get a ship. Build everything from scratch or simply buy myself a second-hand ice-breaker with proven travel records.

(422words)

No comments: