Tuesday, February 20, 2018

09 [The Power of Habit] by Charles Duhigg



This book explains in details how a habit can be changed and modified to make life better based on the research results done in United States. In comparison to change a habit completely, a better approach is to understand the habit loop and replace the routine that we do when we receive certain cue in order to get the same rewards. 4 steps to change a habit (1) identity the routine (2) Experiment with rewards (3) Isolate the cue and (4) Have a plan. Perhaps it is easier say than do so I decided to use apply the steps on one of my bad habits that I want to get rid of and see how it works.


To figure out the habit loop, the first step is to identity the routine which I want to change. The routine here is whenever I am free and have nothing to do in office, I feel empty and an urge to do something to keep myself busy as it is not good to be always free while other people around me are working so hard. Therefore, I start learning a few languages that I am interested in but not have sufficient time to study or browsing the internet looking for possible job opportunities.

To figure out which cravings are driving particular habits, it’s useful to experiment with different rewards. After experimenting a few times, I found that the reward that I got after sending out many resumes or indulging myself in language learning was the feeling that I had tried my best in learning something and therefore I were satisfied with the meaningful thing that I had done during my time in office.

To identify and isolate the cue amid the noise, the same system used by psychologist is applied: Categories of behaviors ahead of time are scrutinized in order to see patterns. By asking the following questions: Where are you? What time is it? What’s your emotional state?  Who else is around? What action preceded the urge? The answers would be as listed below. The cue is likely to be identified based on the answers to the questions. The possible cue is “Feeling everyone is busy with tier stuff except me”.




Where are you? (Office)
What time is it? (Early morning 8am)
What’s your emotional state?  (Ennui and despair)
Who else is around? (Colleagues)
What action preceded the urge? (Feeling everyone is busy except me)

Once the habit loop is figured out, the reward that driving the behavior, the cue triggering it, and the routine itself—actions can be taken to shift the behavior. A change to a better routine by planning for the cue and choosing a behavior that delivers the reward that one is craving. Put another way, a habit is a formula our brain automatically follows: When I see CUE, I will do ROUTINE in order to get a REWARD. To re-engineer that formula, I need to begin making choices again. And the easiest way to do this, according to study after study, is to have a plan with a specific timing and well-mentioned objective. My plan perhaps can be any of the suggestion mentioned below.

Option A
Before working, list down a list of meaningful things that I want to do within a day and use it as a guide to focus on my tasks and prevent distraction from others.

Option B
Ask for more assignment from the superior and keep myself busy with works so that I don’t feel that I am the one who is free and lagged behind.


Option C
Spend partial of the 9 working hours in something that can give me fulfillment and spend the rest in doing assignment that I have in hand.

Not sure which option is the best to go ahead, perhaps I should try out each and every of them. If none of them are effective, I shall repeat the steps until a satisfactory formula is found to replace the existing habit loop. Changes don’t come easily, but it comes with determination and perseverance.




(675 words)

No comments: