Monday, January 29, 2018

Mythologizing natural talent lets us all of the hook


My lacks of confidence, determination and ability to express myself seem to be the biggest obstacles at my current stage of life. I don’t have the courage to try and do lots of things due to the lacks and indirectly I put a low ceiling on what I might do for my life. 
 
The younger generation is a generation that is full of new ideas and know perfectly well how to express themselves, thanks to the development in the teaching approaches and educational system. Gradually, the younger generation will occupy more percentage of job market and perhaps after 5-10 years, some of them will be in management or decision making roles. As a middle-aged man who was trained under “spoon-feeding” and less idea-oriented educational system, how I am going to survive and continue fighting for what I want in the coming years? This is a question that I really need to look into. It’s not too late to start thinking about ways to deal with it now instead of thinking about it 10 years later when I will be forty plus and any abrupt changes in life are more difficult. At that time, the competitive and winner-take-out working environment nowadays will surely become tougher for people like me, it will be hard to survive without the ability to quickly climb the learning curve of any skill, be it a technical skill or interpersonal skill.
 
I think that I am not talented or perhaps I am just a borderline gifted person. Sometime people tend to mythologize natural talent and tend to praise someone because of his talents in performing something phenomenally well so that they can get themselves off the hook and relax into the status quo without thinking of the possibility of performing as well as him. By letting themselves be persuaded by the word “divine”, they are more willing to accept the fact that they are simply lacking of the natural talents to do what the talented people capable of doing, no matter how hard they try, since they are just ordinary human beings.
 
Everyone has his very own yardstick to measure his achievement in life and one’s achievement may be nothing in the eyes of others. One should not overemphasize talent and underemphasize other things which are as important, like efforts and hard works. The fact that there is a gap between potential and its actualization and most people always behave below the optimum cheer me up a bit. I ask myself “Am I possible to do something by pushing my potential (if I have) to the extreme use?” After many years working in the industry, I came to appreciate in doing something over and over again, and enjoy seeing something that was never natural become almost second natural. I think I am not lacking of the capacity to learn something new and then perform it well. What I need right now is better strategizing my plans to better prepare myself for the challenges ahead. Of course, absorbing more ideas and make them part of mine is one of the practicable ways to go ahead……

**With ideas and lots of quotes from Angela Lee Duckworth: Grit: The power of passion and perseverance

 

(517words)

No comments: